BugSeq Bioinformatics Inc.
Posted: May 11, 2021
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Internship Program: Digital Tech
Salary Range: $50,000 - $60,000
Hours per Week: 40
Start Date: June 14, 2021
End Date: November 12, 2021
We are looking for a talented bioinformatician to design and validate novel pipelines for our platform. We are looking for developers who are excited about launching new products and features into production, can work autonomously, and don't back down from the challenges of scale. Our ideal candidate has experience building pipelines from the ground up and publishing them in the peer-reviewed literature.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Design and develop core features for a bioinformatics platform that is truly first of its kind
• Identify new technologies and best practices for our growing team
• Author scientific papers validating our analyses and comparing them to alternative methods
• Incorporate user feedback to design and build a better product
• Debug analysis issues across tools and data types
• You'll be working with modern technologies like Nextflow, Biocontainers, Docker, Conda, Python, R, etc.
Knowledge and Skills
• You've completed at least third year of a Bachelor's Degree in bioinformatics, computational biology or a related field
• You are a self starter who can prioritize what to work on and fully design, build and write tests for new pipelines
• You have a few years experience doing bioinformatics analyses
• You have authored several bioinformatics papers
• Nextflow experience is a plus
• Experience with metagenomic data is a plus
• You strongly believe in high code quality, automated testing and other engineering best practices
• You are comfortable learning new technologies and systems
Bachelor's Degree in bioinformatics, computational biology or a related field
How to Apply
To apply, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Working with CICan to get a Digital Tech Intern in our company has been an enormous help to us. We were able to expand our team's capabilities and take on additional projects as a result of having the technical resource on-staff. The grant offered by CICan significantly de-risked the process of hiring a recent graduate with minimal experience. Our intern has been fantastic and has been very quick to learn new skills on the job and become a solid contributor within our team.