Consult our comprehensive FAQS for the latest information on eligibility requirements, the application process, payments, and so much more.

Bienvenue dans notre centre d'assistance

Can I work at the same long-term care setting as my friend?

You can make a request to the college or institute delivering the program. They may be able to place you and your friend with the same employer, but there is no guarantee that they would be able to accommodate your request.

Will I get paid while receiving on-the-job training?

During your online training, you will not be paid. Once you start your work placement, you will become an employee and any on-the-job training would be paid.

How much will I get paid during the work placement?

This will depend on jurisdiction, region, province, and employer. Employers are required to respect provincial working regulations and pay at least minimum wage.

How do I apply?

You will complete an application with a college or institute delivering the program. You can find a list of institutions offering the program on our website.

Can I get credit for this program if I go into other health care programs?

Each college will consider your previous education including this program and what you have learned during your work placement when you apply for further education. Additionally, you will have to meet the admission requirements for that program. Each college and institute have upgrading programs if you need to take additional courses.

Are there any costs to participate in the Supportive Care Assistant Program?

The Government of Canada has funded this program. This means that there is no tuition. In addition, there are no textbooks or equipment requirements. There is a limited number of bursaries available to help with costs related to childcare or other care of dependents.

However, there are some costs associated with the program and the work placement such as:

  • Internet and computer access
  • Fee for a criminal record check
  • Any costs for immunizations
  • Appropriate clothing and shoes for work placement (depends on the employer)

There may be additional requirements depending on the college or institute and the employer.

What will I receive when I finish the program?

After completing the online training and your work placement, you will receive a micro-certificate. A micro-certificate is a formal way of recognizing the knowledge and skills that are very specific to the workplace or industry.

Who can take the Supportive Care Assistant program?

To be able to take this program you must be:

  • At least 18 years of age
  • A Canadian citizen, permanent resident or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada (international students cannot register)
  • Legally entitled to work in Canada according to the relevant provincial legislation and regulations
  • Able to provide proof of English language ability (or French for francophone colleges). Each college will let you know their specific requirements but generally it will be equivalent to Grade 10 English.

In addition, you should:

  • Have an interest in working with older adults and other people requiring assistance
  • Be able to communicate effectively and have strong interpersonal skills
  • Be friendly, flexible, and able to provide warm encouragement
  • Have regular access to a PC or MAC computer with an internet connection and recent versions of Google Chrome or Internet Explorer installed
  • Have basic computer skills
  • Have access to transportation for work placement(s)
  • Be available to work shifts (evenings/nights/weekends)
  • Be physically able to stand/walk with some bending, twisting, and lifting

There are some requirements as part of the workplace. This will be different from employer to employer but all students will be required to have:

  • A criminal background check with vulnerable sectors
  • Updated immunizations

What colleges and institutes are offering the program?

Image of rocket taking off