Environmental Assessment and Policy Planning Technician
Publié: April 27, 2021
Emplacement: Perth, Ontario with potential for Online work remotely, Ontario
Programme de stages: Natural Resources
Échelle salariale: $30,000 - $40,000
Heures par semaine: 35
Date de début: July 5, 2021
Date de fin: April 1, 2022
Description de l'emploi
Covid- 19 has increased the development pressures of rural, waterfront lands with accelerated pressures on environmental resources and our local decision makers do not have the environmental capacity to ensure that the natural resources are not exploited. Ontario planning and decision makers need to have the tools they need including recommended policies, supporting legislation, and science to make good land-use and environmental planning decisions. These decisions need to recognize the importance of lake health as well as local economies. The internship position will work under the direction of a project steering committee to create an on-line resource for decision makers to assist them in protecting the health of their lakes through land use planning and environmental assessment informed by science. Local governments need to establish consistent regulations that recognize local, provincial and national guidelines and best practices. Local decision-making is critical to the future health of our lakes, and many lakes are experiencing major planning issues with little regard for environmental health in planning application decisions. A lack of tools exist to guide decision makers around earth sciences such as water resources, geology and land use and its associated environmental impacts.
Devoirs et responsabilités
The intern will work with a steering committee to carryout the following:
• Compile existing progressive and defensible land use planning policies that achieve sustainable
development around lakes, with a discussion of their supporting science, guided by the feedback from
municipalities and lake associations.
• Develop an on-line resource, accessible to rural municipalities, of policies, by-laws, supporting
science and other resource materials. Incorporate an on-line discussion forum for users. Roll out to
• Conduct research into sustainable development practices based on earth sciences (water resources, geology and the interaction between land and water)
• Create and conduct educational forums on best practices for natural resources management
Connaissances et compétences
The applicant must have an understanding of the municipal government process and with a sound knowledge of the structures, functions and interactions of all three levels of government in Canada.
• Experience interpreting legislation, policies, and procedures
• Knowledge of earth sciences and environmental impacts of development
• Excellent interpersonal skills for the purposes of building and maintaining positive working relationships
• Strong written communication skills for the purposes of drafting a wide variety of documents and correspondence such as letters, memos, e-mails, and reports
• Strong leadership skills
• Strong organizational and time management skills for the purposes of identifying priorities and meeting deadlines
• Superior verbal communication skills with the capacity to listen actively and relay information clearly and concisely
• The ability to research, analyze, and synthesize complex information
The ability to be proactive, take initiative, and perform tasks independently while working under minimal supervision
• Experience preparing, presenting, and facilitating meetings, workshops, presentations
Qualifications: • A diploma or degree in political science, environmental science, natural resources or a related discipline.
Comme ce stage touche bon nombre de projets différents, j'ai acquis en fait plus d'expérience qu'il ne m'aurait été possible d'en acquérir avec un seul emploi.
Quelques-uns de nos employeurs fantastiques que nous avons aidés
Notre financement leur permet de contribuer à remédier aux pénuries de main-d’œuvre, à diversifier leur personnel et à renforcer leur secteur.