Natural Resource Data Coordinator
Posted: April 26, 2021
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Internship Program: Natural Resources
Salary Range: $30,000 - $40,000
Hours per Week: 35
Start Date: July 12, 2021
End Date: July 12, 2022
MapYourProperty has a big goal – we’re out to change the way professionals in the real estate business find and assess development opportunities. Our mission is to turn a dinosaur industry on its head with a cutting-edge cloud platform and we’re off to a great start. MapYourProperty is developing predictive pricing for both residential and commercial real estate. Our focus is to expand our data coverage geographically, approaching new regions throughout Canada and the United States with innovative techniques in geospatial data mining and manipulation. We are looking to hire GIS Technicians with a strong interest in geospatial data creation and a passion for real estate & urban planning. MYP is backed by Techstars, the largest seed VC in the United States and Colliers International, the largest commercial brokerage in the world. The firm services the top 5 residential developers, real estate brokerages, and municipal law firms in the Greater Toronto Area.
The GIS Technician will be working with the data team and the CIO to assist with our rapid expansion into multiple Canadian and US markets over the next 3 years. This includes acquiring data from each region or local municipality, conducting raster and vector manipulation, and geospatial analysis on a North American scale. This role is based in Toronto, Canada.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Edit and manipulate environmental geospatial datasets using Adobe Suite (Illustrator), ArcGIS Pro and QGIS
- Utilize open data and in-house data extraction techniques to manipulate geospatial data and produce high quality cartographic maps depicting natural resources across Canada
- Edit and prepare data for upload to GIS web application sites such as Geoserver or ArcMap Online to bring the natural resources data to the public
- Working with other team members to update and edit existing data or create new datasets in a collaborative environment
- Data storage and management - following best practices, incumbent will extract, maintain and load data from desktop to cloud environments
- Conduct research and outreach for data collection or potential partnership opportunities related to environmental information and natural resource agencies
- Continuously go beyond the tasks at hand to improve processes and increase efficiency
- Support customer care and sales outreach to the real estate industry for MapYourProperty by attending networking events and giving product demos (where appropriate and deemed safe within federal and provincial regulations)
Knowledge and Skills
- College or university degree in related discipline, minimum 3 year college graduate diploma/degree or other equivalent
- General understanding of key environmental indicators in Canada as it relates to development and planning industries - usually acquired through an Environmental Science, Natural - - - - Resources, or Environmental and Resource Planning degree
- Recent graduate or a preferred minimum of 1-2 year experience using ESRI and Adobe software in a professional or workplace environment
- Proficiency in ArcGIS Pro, QGIS, Adobe Illustrator is required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Excel is required
- Must be able to work collaboratively and with other team members
- Being organized & following data management practices is a necessity
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required
- Previous experience in planning or policy mapping is considered an asset
- Experience with PostGIS/PostGreSQL and basic SQL is considered an asset
- Strong interest in maps and geospatial data around real estate, urban planning, demographics, and affordable housing. Did we already mention maps, because we love maps!
How to Apply
To apply, send your resume to email@example.com.
I feel that my internship was a meaningful position where I got to make a real difference in the College. It was very stimulating work that was both fun and challenging. I got to meet many different people within the College and outside in the community. I would recommend a similar experience to other interns because it provides a much greater understanding of how sustainability really works in a post-secondary institution than what you can learn in a classroom.
Bow Valley College