Hydroelectric Turbine Design Technologist
Northwest Fabworks Inc.
Posted: April 24, 2021
Location: Parksville, British Columbia
Internship Program: Natural Resources
Salary Range: $50,000 - $60,000
Hours per Week: 40
Start Date: June 28, 2021
End Date: December 27, 2021
Northwest Fabworks Inc. (NWF) is a growing manufacturing company with a full CNC machine shop, fabrication shop, and engineering department. Throughout 2020 and 2021 our company has focused on professional growth, enhancing our quality management systems, and launching new product lines. We are seeking an Engineer (EIT) to work on optimizing several Microhydro Turbines. The position will involve a mix of Computer-Aided-Design (CAD) design work, stress and flow analysis using CAD software, and assembly of prototypes and existing turbines. Using a multitude of digital and manufacturing technologies, including CNC machining, the position will work to optimize existing Microhydro turbines for use in industrial and residential applications.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Use Computer-Aided-Design (CAD) software and technology to design and redesign turbines.
2. Utilizing Coordinate-Measuring Machine to generate CAD drawings to be used in reverse engineering and quality control checks.
3. Use CNC Machines and code/read programs using G Code.
4. Efficiently interface between CNC Machines and Computer Aided Manufacturing (CAM) to program multiple axial plane movements, select appropriate tools, and program toolpaths.
5. 3D CAD design in Solid-works to develop new turbine parts.
6. Use Microsoft Office Suite including coding and creating Excel documents.
7. Effectively use Critical Path Method and Work Breakdown Structure project management techniques.
8. Execute the safety plan and ethos of Northwest Fabworks.
9. Constructively work as a team member in multiple engineering projects.
10. Operate and prepare objects for 3D scanning
Knowledge and Skills
1. Some experience using Solidworks and/or Fusion 360
2. Some experience designing products for subtractive manufacturing
3. Highly competent with Microsoft Office products
4. Ability to work self-directed and create solutions to complex issues with minimal direct input
5. A strong aptitude for written deliverables such as engineering reports or stress analysis reports
6. Some experience operating in a shop environment
7. A positive attitude and a strong willingness to learn difficult and challenging tasks and datasets.
8. Experience working with 3D Scan data and mesh files would be an asset.
Minimum Diploma of Engineering Technology, or similar.
How to Apply
To apply, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All current staff members of Intervale have gotten their start through this internship program. If it were not for this program, Intervale would not have been able to provide employment to young people from rural communities of Newfoundland and Labrador.
Intervale Associates Inc.