Anishinabek/ Ontario Fisheries Resource Centre
Posted: July 25, 2022
Location: North Bay, Ontario
Internship Program: Natural Resources
Salary Range: $20,000 - $30,000
Hours per Week: 37
Start Date: November 21, 2022
End Date: February 28, 2023
Under the direction of the fisheries biologist the intern will receive comprehensive training in fisheries assessment and management. The intern will be certified in a number of areas including but not limited to SVOP, First Aid/CPR and Backpack electrofishing. The intern will be trained in boat and equipment safety, project design, field equipment and techniques, data collection and entry and report writing. On a daily basis the intern will work along side an experienced staff mentor and given the opportunity to acquire supervisory experience. This job will expose the intern to extensive field work including a variety of fisheries issues being dealt with by First Nation communities and the scientific techniques used to address these issues.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for ensuring Health and Safety policies and procedures are followed
- Preparing and maintaining field gear and equipment
- Data collection and entry
- Setting and retrieving a variety of nets including Gill, Trap, Fyke, Hoop and Seine nets
- Driving and trailering boats
- Maintaining a great attitude and keeping team moral high
- Willingness to work on some weekends/ evenings
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of or desire to learn about Anishinabek culture
- Experience and/or comfortable working in or around water and adverse weather conditions
- Knowledge of freshwater fish species and identification
- Experience using software applications including MS Word, MS Excel and Teams
- Communication and organizational skills
- Experience entering data into a database or spreadsheet
- Valid Ontario driver's license
Assets but not required
- Knowledge of ArcGIS and/or QGIS
- Previous experience working with freshwater fish
- Experience driving and trailering boats and ATV's
- Report writing
Enrolled in a Natural Resources or Biology program in University or College
How to Apply
To apply, send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ahmed Yassir is employed as a Marketing and Communications Support intern at Cooperative de la récolte de chez nous limitée in Dieppe, New Brunswick. The internship lies within the ImpAct program stream, funded by Employment and Social Development Canada (ESDC), and implemented via Career Launcher. The organization’s main mission is to promote farmers and producers from the South-eastern New-Brunswick region. His work in the internship included creation of marketing plans related to the organization and its activities. He applied what he learned in college, as well as what his colleagues helped him with. The workplace was respectful and friendly with the opportunity to collaborate with colleagues from different countries. From the marketing aspect, he learned about targeting potential customers, and segmentations. This experience helped him immensely in his initial effort in the professional world and starting his marketing career. He feels that he was provided with all the resources that he needed to succeed in the position. He believes the Career Launcher internship program gives the employer visibility about the candidate and assures a good follow up.
- What was a problem or task that you were assigned at work and how did you overcome it?
- Create a Marketing plan related to the organization and its activities.I applied what I learned in college, as well as what my colleagues helped me with.
- One tip you could give employers on how they should onboard their intern.
- Employers should make the transition from academic to professional space easy for the candidate.
- Did the internship make them feel prepared from school/academics to the professional space?
- How inclusive is the workplace or the team?
- The workplace was very respectful and friendly. Also, I have worked with colleagues from different countries.
- Are there any new skills that you developed/are developing while you are at the worksite and what are they?
- Yes. From the Marketing side, targeting potential customers, and segmentations.
- How will your work with Cooperative de la récolte de chez nous limitée make a difference to the community?
- The organization’s main mission is to promote farmers and producers from the South-eastern New-Brunswick region.
- How did the Career Launcher internship program encourage you to begin/ grow a career in marketing?
- This experience helped me a lot with my first steps into the professional world and starting my Marketing career. I feel like I was given all that I need to succeed in the position. The Career Launcher internship program also gives the employer visibility about the candidate and assures a good follow up.
Cooperative de la récolte de chez nous limitée