Consult our comprehensive FAQS for the latest information on eligibility requirements, the application process, payments, and so much more.

Bienvenue dans notre centre d'assistance

If I’ve already started a personal care provider program, can I still receive the $5,000?

Yes. If you first completed the SCA program and are now in a personal care provider program, you can receive the $5,000 stipend. Depending on how far along you are in the program, there are certain steps required to receive payment. For more information, contact us at SCA-APSS@collegesinstitutes.ca or call 613-746-7093.

How will I receive the stipend payments?

Payments will be issued through Interac email transfers. You will receive a notification when the payment has been sent.

What is considered proof of enrolment?

For a proof of enrolment document to be valid, it must be issued from the institution and contain all of the below:

  1. Full name of student
  2. School name (letterhead, school logo or website address)
  3. Academic term and year enrolled
  4. Date issued
  5. Program of study

Examples of valid documents:

  • Enrolment letter
  • Invoice or payment receipt for tuition
  • Timetable or course schedule
  • Electronic document (email or screenshot of above)

Note that a combination of documents may be necessary to confirm your enrolment status.

Examples of invalid documents include:

  • Letter of acceptance
  • Offer of admission
  • Student card

How do I apply for the stipend?

To apply for the $5,000 laddering stipend, you must have completed the Supportive Care Assistant (SCA) program and be enrolled in an eligible personal care provider program (PSW, HCA, CCA, etc).

Steps to applying and receiving the $5,000 stipend

Please note that throughout the process, CICan will send you reminder emails to ensure you complete the required actions.

  1. Obtain the necessary documents
    • Once you have completed the SCA program and are officially enrolled into an eligible personal care provider (PCP) program, you can begin the application process for the stipend. You will be required to upload two documents when applying. The first is proof of having completed the SCA program. The second is a proof of enrolment document. These documents are usually available from your registrar’s office. For proof of enrolment, it is typically the same document used for something like an RESP. Note that this is not the same as a letter of acceptance into the program.
  2. Apply for the stipend
    • Complete the online application form and upload your proof of enrolment document and proof of SCA completion. You will also be asked to provide your banking information for direct deposit and update your personal information in your profile. Upon verification of the documents, CICan will send you the first instalment of $500.
  3. Provide proof of attendance
    • Three weeks into your program, you must provide CICan with proof of attendance. There is a form that is available in the student portal. You would complete the first portion of the form, and the second part must be completed and signed by the program coordinator at your institution. Upload the signed form in the student portal. Upon verification, CICan will send you the next payment of $2,000.
  4. Complete the mid-term survey and provide proof of attendance
    • At the half-way point of your PCP program, CICan will send you a link to a mid-term survey that you must complete. The survey will take about 10 to 15 minutes. At this point, you are also required to submit another proof of attendance document. After completing the survey and uploading the signed proof of attendance form, CICan will deposit the next payment of $2,000 into your account.
  5. Complete the final survey and provide proof of graduation
    • At the end of your PCP program, you must complete a final survey that will take 10 to 15 minutes. You will also be prompted to upload proof of having graduated from the PCP program. This could be a copy of the certificate, copy of an official transcript, or other acceptable proof of completion issued by your learning institution. Once received, CICan will issue the final payment of $500.

As a graduate from the Supportive Care Assistant Program, will I receive any credits or PLAR for the personal care provider program?

You may receive some recognition for the micro-certificate towards the new training. Connect with the college or institute about any PLAR (prior learning assessment recognition) you would receive from the SCA program.

Can I receive the stipend if I enrol in another health care program, like nursing?

No, you can only receive the $5,000 stipend for an eligible personal care provider program.

Is there a deadline for completing the personal care provider program?

Yes, you must complete all elements of your personal care provider certificate before May 31, 2024.

I am currently taking the Supportive Care Assistant Program and am interested in the laddering stipend. What should I do next?

You must first apply and enrol into an eligible personal care provider certificate program. Here are some tips to help with the application process:

  • Let your SCA instructor know you’re interested in taking the next step; they may be able to help
  • Do some research and decide where you’d like to study – you can take the program where you’re doing your SCA program or at any other CICan approved college or institute
  • Look at the available program start dates and application deadlines
  • Ensure you meet the admission requirements
  • If you need to take a test to meet the requirements (for example a language proficiency test), start the process right away
  • Ensure you have all the documents you need to apply
  • Apply early! Application deadlines can be months before the start date and programs can fill up. You can apply for a personal care provider certificate while still an SCA student
  • Explore other bursaries and scholarships – each institution usually has information about financing your studies and can point you to resources for applying for further assistance
  • Apply for PLAR (prior learning assessment recognition) if applicable

Once you have completed the SCA program and are enrolled in a personal care provider program, you can request the $5,000 stipend.

Can I use the stipend to study at a professional career college?

No, the institution must be a CICan member college.

Can I do the personal care provider program at a different institution and still receive the stipend?

Yes. If you completed the SCA program at one institution, you can do the personal care provider certificate at any other CICan member institution. Note that you would need to meet the admission requirements.

When will I receive the $5,000?

The stipend is paid in four instalments and follows the below payment schedule.

Payment Schedule:

  • $500 – upon providing proof of enrolment (before the program starts)
  • $2,000 – upon providing proof of attendance (three weeks after the program starts)
  • $2,000 – upon completing the mid-term survey and providing the 2nd proof of attendance (mid-point of the personal care provider program)
  • $500 – upon providing proof of graduation (at the end of the program)

At each step, there are certain actions required. Note that after we receive and verify your documents, the payment process can take up to 10 business days.

Is the $5,000 stipend only for people who have completed the Supportive Care Assistant Program?

Yes, the stipend is only available for individuals who have successfully completed the Supportive Care Assistant (SCA) micro-certificate. If you’re interested in taking the SCA program, visit careerlauncher.ca/care

What is an eligible personal care provider program?

Eligible personal care provider programs are typically 8-to-12-month certificate programs. The names of these programs vary across Canada and prepare you for immediate work in health care. The training typically leads to one of the following roles: continuing care assistant, health care aide, health care assistant, personal care attendant, personal support worker, or resident care worker. The program must be delivered by a CICan member institution. If you have any questions, please contact SCA-APSS@collegesinstitutes.ca

If tuition is covered by the provincial government, can I still receive the $5,000?

Yes, you can still receive the laddering stipend if tuition is covered by the provincial government. The $5,000 can be used to cover other costs related to the training.

How will I report my expenses?

You do not need to submit any receipts. You will have to provide proof of registration as well as proof of completion in an eligible program. The exact document you need to present depends on your college or institute. Speak to your coordinator for more info.

What kind of expenses can the $5,000 cover?

The stipend is intended to offset costs related to education. It can be used to cover tuition, books, daycare or dependant care, travel costs, uniforms or safety equipment, additional training, certification requirements, transportation etc

What happens if I drop out of the personal care provider program? Will I have to repay CICan?

You must immediately notify CICan of any changes related to your studies. If you received a portion of the $5,000 stipend and must stop your studies, you would not be required to reimburse the funds received.

Image of rocket taking off